The Jewish Community High School of the Bay (JCHS) is a co-educational private high school providing a college preparatory curriculum in general and Jewish Studies as well as an extensive enrichment program including the arts and athletics. We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
We are open to all Jewish students in the San Francisco Bay Area, regardless of prior Jewish educational experience. JCHS is guided by the rhythms of the Jewish calendar, Jewish culture and tradition, and by an inextricable link to the land of Israel. Our goal is to provide our students with the education necessary to gain acceptance into the finest colleges and universities, and to engage in life-long Jewish learning. Our wish is to enable our graduates to apply the skills and lessons taught within our walls to their lives, within both the Jewish and the wider community.
- We are a pluralistic community, welcoming students with a variety of Jewish backgrounds, perspectives, and practices. JCHS students come from all over the Bay Area, more than 50 public and private schools, and a diversity of family configurations.
- Class sizes are small, averaging 14 students.
- Our state-of-the-art Performing Arts Theater is an exceptional venue for our three annual student productions.
- More than 75% of our faculty hold post-graduate academic degrees.
- Our four-year sequence of Experiential Journeys explores issues of power, responsibility, and identity at destinations such as Zion National Park, New Orleans, and Israel.
- Our competitive athletics teams are part of the Private School Athletic League. Seventy-five percent of our students play on one of our 13 varsity, junior varsity, or club teams.
- Our library offers more than 35,000 volumes and houses the collection of the Jewish Community Library.
- Our award-winning lunch program is prepared daily in our own kosher kitchen using fresh, local ingredients.
- Technology is an indispensable tool for learning, creating and communicating at JCHS. Our students, faculty and staff are constantly integrate technology into the learning experience, from iPads to online classes.
- During the school year, JCHS students lead more than 20 different clubs, providing every student with opportunities to cultivate his or her interests.